Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Dare to Dream

Perhaps the greatest lesson my father taught me was to dream and not allow the voice of the naysayers to deter reaching for your dream.  This is perhaps the greatest lesson that I hold most dear.  I remember when we were transitioning from a rural community to the inner city, Daddy took my brother, my mother and me to a really nice, reclusive neighborhood that was not too far away.  As we drove around the neighborhood my father simply stated that: “this is what is possible”.  One of the houses in the neighborhood looked like the house on “Fresh Prince of Bel Air”.  It was not a lesson that he didn’t live by.  Daddy was born in a small house, an African American born in a segregated society, who came from no means.  And yet he despite his circumstance dared to dream and to pursue those dreams.  He dreamed of being the best athlete in his home state, and one of the best in the country in his time- he accomplished this.  He dreamed of going to a prominent university and becoming an All-American- he accomplished this.  He dreamed of playing in the NFL- he accomplished this.  He dreamed of earning a Ph.D.- he accomplished this.  He dreamed of helping youth- he founded a non-profit organization and did this.   Simply he taught me through his life to never let the odds intimidate you.  And never let the nearsightedness of others to keep you from reaching for the stars.



2 comments:

  1. THIS BRINGS TEARS TO MY EYES BUT NOT BECAUSE I'M SAD BUT BECAUSE I CAN SEE COACH HART DOING THIS. I CAN STILL SEE HIM SITTING AT THE END OF THE HALLWAY AT SCHOOL WITH THAT CAIN IN HIS HAND DIRECTING AND DABBING US TO SUCCESS. I WAS FORTUNATE TO KNOW COACH HART OFF THE COURT, FOOTBALL FIELD, AND CLASSROOM. COACH HART WAS A GREAT MAN WHO DIDN'T TAKE NO MESS FROM ANYONE AND NO MATTER WHAT OTHERS THOUGHT ABOUT THE HAROLD SMITH'S OF THE WORLD COACH HART KNEW EXACTLY HOW TO PULL THE DIAMONDS OUT THE ROUGH! GREAT MAN, GREAT FAMILY, GREAT STORY!
    SINCERELY, HAROLD SMITH

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! Thanks so much for sharing Harold! I know I have heard similar stories to yours since I was a young child. It makes me appreciate my time with my father even more.

    ReplyDelete