Sunday, July 24, 2011

Daddy Came and Got Me!

   I remember one evening in July I was driving in Forest Park in Oklahoma City.  Many who are from the area know that the area is known for stopping any and everyone.  A news report had come out around that time and stated that Forest Park received over 50% of its revenue from traffic tickets! However, on that evening it was necessary for me to drive through the area because I was headed to the home of a friend in the neighborhood.  It was the late evening and we were preparing for a funeral scheduled for the next morning ,as they had lost a loved one. 

     As I made my way through Oklahoma City streets and passed several police cars who did not even look twice at me so I felt reasonably secure as I entered into the Forest Park Township.  As I drove through, down an unlit street, I passed a car I could not see very well.   I was alarmed when the car's lights began to flash and I then realized I was about to be stopped by the police.  As the officer approached me I was relaxed and politely asked him why I had been stopped.  He told me because I had a headlight out!  I was astonished I had know idea I had any technical difficulties at all.  I had been driving with my bright lights on since I was in a dark area.  He asked for my licence and I gave it to him.  He returned and told me that my licence had been suspended and "driving with a suspended licence was an arrestable offense, and that unless I could have someone meet me at the police station within an hour with the funds sufficient for my fines etc. I would be booked at the Oklahoma County Jail and held there until at least Monday since it was after all the Fourth of July Holiday weekend and the offices would be closed the next few days."

     My first thought was WOW!!!! I have never been in trouble with the law in my life! And now I am going to the County for a headlight?  I began to pray as the officer walked away.  I called some people in town who said "call if you ever need anything". (You know the ones).  They didn't bother to pick up the phone.  All of the relatives I had in town were out of town on vacation and the rest of my family lived in other states.  It was between 11pm and midnight on a Wednesday night and I didn't know what to do.  I prayed and told the LORD, "well maybe there is someone in the County you want me to witness to, and I will have to get my 'Paul and Silas' on, but I don't want to go to jail and it doesn't make sense me missing the funeral."  After I prayed that prayer my phone rang.  As spoke quickly as I could see the officer coming back after having called the tow company.  It was my "surrogate" family calling.  To make a long story short they said they would come and get me.  I told them my father would repay them the money ASAP it was just he was out of town. 

     I then found myself in a place I had never been-the back of a police car! They were taking me in.  My car was being towed and we were driving off.  I was allowed to call my father and he assured me he would send the money ASAP and thanked the people who were picking me up.  That evening I called some people who never answered their phone.  I needed to pick my car up.  But to no avail, my poor little red car had to spend the weekend in lockup- but thankfully I didn't.

     By the time Monday came my plan was clear.  One of my friends came and took me to DPS.  I found that the reason my licence had been suspended unbeknown  to me was because a ticket I had received 7 months before! I had PAID the ticket!  By the grace of GOD the man took me aside and said not to worry, it would not appear on my record. (thank YOU JESUS).  My father had already sent the money to take care of all necessary expenses.  He had to work a long shift and though he hadn't gotten off work until the wee hours of the morning, he came straight from Kansas to Oklahoma (about 5 1/2 hour trip one way) to get my car out of impound and while he was in Oklahoma City he made arrangements so that if it ever happened again I would know who to call, even without money, and things would be taken care of.  He then got back on the road drove another 5 1/2 hours to go back to work. (PRAISE BREAK).

     I remember testifying that "a lot of people talked but my DADDY came and got me!"  I was so grateful then and I am now.  Because in a time when so many don't know their fathers and even if they know who he is they can't call on him or don't know where he is.  But I am so grateful for a father that would drive all night to see about his baby girl! And I can say that my father did no less for any of his other 8 children.  He never lectured me about not checking on my licence.  Never chided me for spending so much time with people who wouldn't help me in my hour of need.  He just came down and took care of me, and made provisions on my behalf.   He just came and got me.
 So loyal. So faithful. So sweet.  So SUGAR.


I love you daddy,

Marcella 

No comments:

Post a Comment