Monday, January 30, 2012

Get 'er Done!

Perhaps the most relevant lesson that has been on my mind since the New Year has been this idea of "Getting THINGS DONE!"  It is funny because I so often have I have said that the true sign that I am getting older is that my parents are starting to make sense.  One the lessons my father taught that I just really bothered me was the idea that we must "GET THINGS DONE"!

What exactly am I alluding to.  Well, recently I had conversation with a friend about 2 different business owners that I know.  Both of these individuals are respected and would probably be considered successful, however, knowing them makes a big difference.

One of them has started businesses and sales them for millions sometimes.  One of them has started many business over time and has done well financially-at least for a season.  But this individual has never been able to sustain a business.  No matter what kind of initial success this individual has, the person has never been able to sustain any type of real growth.

As I explained to my friend, the biggest difference was that the one who creates and sales the businesses- GETS THINGS DONE!  And this is a simple truth.  Most of us can find any amount of excuses to not complete a task, however, the reality is that at some point each person has to make a decision to get things done.  To prioritize and complete things which are necessary to complete.  However, the mentality of some individuals, which causes the person to be undisciplined, which causes the person to be content with mediocrity ultimately leads to unsustainable success.  

There were many mornings when I didn't want to get out of bed or that I wanted to play and not practice or run errands, and my father would yell-'GET UP! TIME TO GET THINGS DONE!" Wow! So annoying yet now so powerful! My friend said to me, well, I wasn't raised that way.  It was then that I realized that mine was a unique experience.

I realize that I am not the only one with such an upbringing but I am grateful that I am one of the ones with the experience.  I can't say that I "bat a thousand" but I am glad that my numbers are good.

Thanks, Daddy

No comments:

Post a Comment